Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Fresh quilt start!

It feels like there has been a lot of writing and organising going on here the last few weeks, and not so much sewing! I was determined to change that this week and took myself to my stash to pull fabrics for a new quilt. Then, last night and this morning I got cutting and did a little piecing. Oh, there is nothing nicer than a fresh rotary blade in your cutter and miles of lovely fabric to cut!!!




This is a baby boy's quilt. The person I am making it for wants blue, yellow and white. I love the combination of colours - so fresh and gorgeous! I had to order a number of yellow fabrics as I'm not strong on these in my stash, but I had lots of blues. With the limited colours, I wanted to have lots of interest in shades, prints and values and I think I assembled a nice mix in the end!



Then I trialled a couple of blocks. Pinwheels, I just love them. So simple, so classic but just lovely with the right fabrics because there is so much movement in them.



Do you hear that satisfied sigh? That's me, all ready to get chain piecing tonight when the kids are gone to bed! Now, time to go off and do what I've been avoiding all day: tidy up, put away the shopping, spend some quality time with the kids and supervise the homework (that doesn't fall in the quality time category....maybe I will leave that job to Himself when he gets in from work!).

Hope you're having a good day! I'm linking up to WIP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced.


WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

22 comments:

Svetlana said...

How fun, it looks beautiful. I love blue and yellow together.

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

looks good. I love a new rotary blade. Makes things so smooth and cutting quick!

Jessica Kelly said...

I do love a fresh rotary blade in the cutter also :-) Love the blue and yellow together, so fresh and pretty. Can't wait to see more pinwheels!

Leanne said...

Those are so cheerful, what a fun quilt to make!

my4lilgirls said...

Love the colors of the new quilt Sarah,so fresh & springy!! Look forward to seeing the finished masterpiece :D
Lots of love Karen x

Canadian Abroad said...

Lovely soft colours. The quilt is going to be gorgeous!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Those colors are such a classic combination. Really sweet. It will be a wonderful baby quilt!

Sarah said...

Nice fabrics, must be nice to have a new project on the go too!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean by lots of organising but not so much sewing! The same thing is happening to me. But I too will start getting down to business before the end of the week. Love the pinwheels and your choice of fabric. Looking forward to following your progress :)

**nicke... said...

great fabrics. i always love pinwheels, they're so happy.

Mary said...

Love the colors and the pinwheels are lovely!

Catherine said...

I love your colours and they look fabulous with the pinwheels

Kelly said...

Love the fabric choices :)

Nicky said...

Your pinwheels are worthy of a sigh - lovely! I spent my day tidying and cleaning hoping for sewing time tomorrow!

Susan said...

Ah! Sigh indeed! The blue/yellow combo is lovely and even lovelier made into pinwheels!!

Toni said...

Those pinwheels are perfect, Sarah! And a new rotary blade is definitely one of the little joys of quilting!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Looking unsurprisingly lovely!

Kelli said...

Blue and yellow are just timelessly classic, aren't they? Looking good so far... And I definitely need the change out my rotary blade. Thanks for the reminder! ;)

Kirsten said...

Such perfect pinwheels Sarah - they will make a lovely quilt!!

felicity said...

I love a good pinwheel, and those fabrics are perfection. You sound like you're having lots of fun with this! :)

Katy Cameron said...

Yay for new starts, it's going to look fab :o)

Lee said...

Ah, such pretty colors, so relaxing and happy. : ) Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday!