Monday, January 2, 2012

Want to Get Started Sewing?

Do you read sewing blogs, look at the pictures of beautiful projects and wish you could sew? Is learning to sew, or sewing more, one of your New Year's resolutions? Is there a sewing machine sitting in your attic that you haven't used since your school days? If so, you might be excited by my new project!

FairyFace Designs

I am thrilled and delighted to be hosting a series of tutorials aimed at beginners and newbies to sewing. My {Sew} Get Started tutorials start this week and will run up to May. I am incredibly lucky to have large group of my blogging friends who are helping me out, and are providing a tutorial each in the series.

I learned the basics of sewing in a night class - but it was mainly focused on garment sewing and it was only when I started to read craft sewing blogs that my interest and love for sewing really took off.  It is a brilliant hobby, and I hate when people tell me they are afraid to try or they don't know where to start. So I thought it would be good to run a series of tutorials that sewing newbies could follow along each week to learn to sew, all in one place, to build up their skills and try a range of different projects to discover what type of sewing they really like. And to experience the fun of the online sewing community by getting to know some of the great bloggers out there - one of the very best parts of following & participating in the blogging community.



This series of tutorial is aimed at people who want to learn to sew and to make beautiful things with gorgeous, modern fabrics - who are new to sewing or who sewed in school but haven't done anything since. It will also have lots of nice projects for people who have a little (or a lot) sewing experience - I am really looking forward to trying some of the tutorials myself! For the next 2 weeks to get us started, I will have a number of posts with information about resources, additional info, supplies etc and after that, I will have 1 tutorial a week on a Thursday with a project to make from beginning to end. We'll start small - with a simple pincushion and needlebook for your sewing space - and each week, a new project will teach you new skills and leave you with something pretty to show for it. You'll learn how to make a bag, how to put in a zipper, how to use interfacing, and how to quilt on a small scale.  In the process, you'll make some lovely (and useful!) things for your home and your kids. The tutorials are mostly focused on craft sewing but there will be a couple of posts on garment making to kick start anyone interested in that area.

Are you excited? I absolutely am! So, get out your sewing machines and dust them off. And pop back on Thursday for the full list of tutorials, and a little giveaway of some packets of scrap fabric to get you started!

40 comments:

Quilterbell said...

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cindy said...

I love it! I can't wait to learn new things from you and your bloggy friends!

Manda said...

Sounds brilliant! I can't wait to learn some new stuff! :)

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Excellent!! I can learn how to do things properly, not in my usual haphazard way!!

Anonymous said...

Beynod excited now ive been telling all my family?friends

Catherine said...

oooh, what a great idea. I think everybody can always learn something!

Di said...

Great idea! I cannot wait. Di xo

Rachel said...

Fab idea Sarah!

patchworkdelights said...

whoohoo cannot wait to learn some new things here, great work S! Fi

cheeky monkey said...

That sounds great! I am really excited which projects you have planed. The pincushion looks really nice for the start ..

Sew Scrumptious said...

Sounds fab!

Dianne Neale said...

Hey this will be great. I learned the basics of sewing at school, but mostly I just bimble along in my own little world!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun.....I'm in!!!!

Bossymamma said...

Sounds really great!

sew.darn.quilt said...

It never hurts to brush up on some techniques and I know I'm always ready to learn something new. This is a great idea!

Carolyn

Ebeth said...

I am so grateful to bloggers like you who are interested in helping the newbies out...thank you so much!!

Katy Cameron said...

Sounds like a plan, I have a few friends IRL I might be able to persuade to join you...

Jennifer Wingard said...

Oh yay! I love sewing, but I need to take the time to teach my kiddos (10, 9, and 8) how to sew as well. Nothing like some beginner projects to get them started with the machine!

Joelle said...

Sounds really great Sarah!!!
Do I need a sewing machine? I only have a few spools of threads and no needles or anything!! But if you put up a list I'll get all the bits I need - might stop me eating which is good in the new year :)

Kristen said...

Oh, what a nice thing to find. I can't wait to see it and learn new things and leave my fear behind.

Thank you! You'll be a big help to my daughter, too, as she gets her sewing crafting groove on.

Niamh said...

I'm in..........was told at 12 years old that 'home economics is not your forte' so time to bite the bullet and get stuck in. Looking forward to it

Catarina said...

OMG! This is exactly what I was looking for!! I bought a used sewing machine last month and I never sewed before in my life, so this will be perfect :D I already dne some small things, but asI never sewed before, some steps are really hard :D Ty for this!!! Will be back thursday for sure! (just hope the small amount of fabric I have will be enought to do it :) )

Catarina Appelgren
catarina.appelgren@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Sounds good, can't for the start.

Janice

karamino said...

Sounds great, thank you!

Amii ScarletPout said...

YES!!!!


You have no idea how many blogs I have bookmarked on my browser, promising myself to start sewing - in fact, I began following you back in June when I intended to start a baby quilt for my sons xmas (remember your quilting series?) and it just never happened because i have no idea what to do, this is amazing! xxx

In Black and White said...

That's great! Everyone should learn to sew, it's just so much fun.

Aideen said...

great! looking forward to it!!thanks for going to the trouble of doing this!

Sabrina said...

I just started sewing the end of November. I have tried several projects but I am eager to learn more! Can't wait!

pippablue said...

Great idea Sarah! I'm looking forward to seeing what tutorials pop up!

Nicky said...

Yeah - new converts recruitment drive! Great idea Sarah! But can we all join in the projects!?

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Fantastic!! Projects and learning, sounds great to me! :)

Helen said...

Sign me up Sarah! Can't wait!

Basildon Kitchens said...

Awesome idea! I can use a skill refresher .... and look forward to learning new techniques or a new look at older skills.

Good job!

Catharine said...

Brilliant idea.

emmakav said...

Great idea just brought my mums old machine home after the holidays. Be great to get a list of supplies of what we'll need to get started :-)

Unknown said...

wonderful idea. can't wait to get started.

Anonymous said...

Awesome idea! Go you! :)

Ciara said...

I have a sewing machine I am afraid of! I am all excited about this.

Deb said...

This is the best page for quilting I have found yet. I am so happy to be here. I have only made 2 pillows so far without a pattern. I, too, am afraid to start more. I will read and follow all your tutorials so I can become a quilter. Thank you again, sssoooooo much, for making newbies able to quilt like professionals. Deb

Erky & Burkie said...

I am so excited to have come across your blog! My husband bought me a sewing machine last Christmas and with 2 little ones running around, I've been heavy on the procrastination to take it out of the box! I'm need focus to get started and I'd say this is it!!! :)