Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Meet Beatrice

Beatrice joined the ranks of handmade teddies in our house today. Poor baby R was the only child in the house without a teddy made by her mum, and, really, that situation needed to be rectified. Isn't she cute?

Like her brother and sister monsters, Beatrice's pattern came from this book, "Make a Monster" by Fiona Goble. I bought it on a complete whim 3 or 4 years ago and I love it. I've made 5 or 6 of the monsters in it - probably more than any quilting book I own! It's well written, the patterns are very quick and straightforward to make with an easy construction method, and they have a big impact with the kids. The monsters are all sewn with polar fleece which is nice and easy to work with, and soft and hard wearing for the kids.


I posted a few picture on Instagram of my progress, and, in the way that you do with sewing photos, only spotted a mistake when I looked at it - the seam on the arm was not lined up properly originally, and it was bugging me, so I redid it.


She joins Martha and Leo who have lived in the 2 older kids' beds since they were toddlers. They're small, and funny looking but it never ceases to amaze me how the kids love these little guys. I tell them I've sewn loads of kisses inside their monsters so that they can make kids feel better in the night if they're feeling scared or have a bad dream and they totally believe in the power of that. Martha and Leo are looking pretty "well-loved" after hundreds of nights of cuddling, and both have had a few repairs over the years but they've plenty of life in them still.


Beatrice has taken up residence in Rachel's cot alongside another little handmade beauty which Geraldine sent her when she was born.

I think they'll do a pretty good job of minding her :-) And I need to make a few other bits to decorate her room now that her new furniture has been fitted and I've almost finished de-cluttering. Poor baba is in her room almost 3 months and it still hasn't been decorated for her; bad mum!!

11 comments:

Isisjem said...

What adorable little monsters!

Canadian Abroad said...

Too, too cute! I love that the kids each have a monster of their own.

Cindy said...

Adorable! Little R will love her for years to come! I have that book too. It's fab!

cheeky monkey said...

Beatrice is just cute and she will be cuddled a lot!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Like she's going to hold those 3 months against you!!! Great monsters xxx

Katy Cameron said...

Lol, I have to say, I saw the pic pre-eyes and thought 'well, she's mostly armless'... it's been a long weekend ;o)

Siobhán said...

Monsters CAN be adorable, apparently, because the monsters you've made sure are! Beatrice is too cute.

Paula said...

Adorable. Looks like a great book, I think I will have to look for a copy as my boys would love those monsters and they would make great gifts too.

CapitolaQuilter said...

They are all so wonderful. I really must give it a go and make one for my grandgirl who is expected any time now.

Andee said...

Ok, I have to get a copy of this book. I have never sewn a monster but your pictures are SEW cute! I have lots of nieces and nephews that would like one for Christmas...:)

Sarah said...

Haha my kids are monsters, but I've never made them a monster doll! I love the sheet on the cot. Did you make it? I've never seen a cot sheet so pretty. Everything in Australia available commercially is so kiddie or conformist.