Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Stitching the Made to Measure

The last few evenings have been spent very pleasantly on the sofa stitching up a storm.



I table basted this massive quilt top on Saturday and am glad to have that part behind me. I have a few weeks of hand quilting to look forward to now - I love having a big project to work on in bits and pieces. This is the first proper big quilt that I will have entirely hand quilted - usually I do a little bit of machine stitching in the ditch to secure the layers. But I could not face wrestling it through the machine, and I'm interested to see how it turns out done entirely by hand.



It is slow, but very enjoyable.


I outlined all the seams in the central star block with pink perle cotton. I didn't mark any quilt lines at this stage, but may need to for some of the other borders...will wait and decide when I get to that point.  Need to pick another thread now for the next border.

On the home front, only more day at work and I'm off for a whole 11 days....cannot wait!!

17 comments:

tusen said...

It's going to be beautiful.

Shan said...

Very Nice. That is going to be gourgeous when you finish.

Pink Petal Quilts said...

It's so pretty! I love it! Is this a pattern? I would love to make one myself:)

Katy Cameron said...

Looking good so far :o)

Judith, Belfast said...

Have a wonderful Easter break S! Hope you get lots of lovely sewing time. Jxo

Ella said...

Gorgeous! Enjoy your time off!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

It's looking fabulous. Your stitches are just perfect!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

It's looking fabulous. Your stitches are just perfect!

Jo Robertson (thejoyofthehousetomyself) said...

Your hand quilting is so neat. My first attempts look terrible!

Hannlib said...

this is going to be so lovely. I really want to try hand quilting but I'm always too impatient!
Enjoy your Easter break.

Canadian Abroad said...

Your quilt is so beautiful and the quilting just enhances it. You know me and my love of perle, you can't go wrong!

Judy said...

That sounds so relaxing to slow down and hand quilt a large quilt. It's going to be lovely when you're done!

Cindy said...

Oh, Sarah, it's a stunner. Perfect for hand quilting.

Martha said...

It is going to be so beautiful. Your hand stitching is gorgeous.

my4lilgirls said...

Beautiful, really love it
Karen x

Svetlana said...

ooh, what a stunning quilt. And all that hand quilting is making it even more amazing.

Kristie said...

I just love your hand stitching projects :)