Friday, May 23, 2014

Sew Together Bag...finished.

 The thing I love most about blogging is the inspiration you get from friends. After I posted my stalled progress on my Sew Together bag last week I got lots of suggestions which got my mind ticking over, and soon, driving to work on Tuesday morning, I had the lightbulb moment. Funnily enough, in those weird coincidences that occur when you're on the same wavelength as your friends, when I got into work and put my phone on my desk, an email popped up on it from Cindy with almost exactly the same idea I had just decided on. That made me sure I was on the right track.



So I got stitching with some little hexies I had in my stash. I did a line across what was to be the front of my bag, and then I decided to do a hexie flower on the back. Some hand quilting with perle cotton and I was all ready to put together my bag.



I was anticipating that putting on the final zip would be the most difficult piece of this bag, but it turned out easier than I expected. My binding isn't perfect but it's not bad either. Actually putting the little tabs on the end of the zip was the fiddliest bit of the whole thing.



I really love how this bag turned out. It's a great concept and a lovely pattern. My only (small) gripe is that there are very few pictures or diagrams in the pattern and without the help of the sewalong run by Quilt Barn I would have struggled in parts as I'm not great on reading instructions that require good spatial sense. But I would definitely recommend the pattern

I love how this looks like a simple little bag from the outside, and then you open it and see all the detail on the inside.



I'm very happy with the choice fabrics I used on the interior of this and how they work together. One of my favourite little details is the exterior lining fabric which is a sewing notions navy print.


All ready now to fill it with my hand sewing stuff.

Linking up to Finish it Up Friday over at Crazy Mom Quilts.

14 comments:

Leanne said...

You bag is lovely. I keep debating this little bag, it looks so good all done but seems like a lot of work.

Teresa @ Aurea's Kitchen said...

I was afraid of trying this pattern until the sewalong by the Quilt barn...and then, well, I sew two and waiting for fabric for another one. So many zippers and the most difficult for me were the tabs on the exterior zipper. I love the flower on the back, but I love more the front with all that quilting.

Jennifer Hays said...

It's really adorable. It seems like a complicated pattern but you made it work well. I've just found your blog and it's lovely, you've got so many inspiring things here.

Ruth said...

Love the colours you chose. The hexies are perfect for it!

Paula said...

A really lovely bag, the hexies look great. I've got this on my to-do list and really must try and get to it sooner rather than later.

Judith, Belfast said...

It's a wee stunner S! Well done for getting it finished so beautifully! Jxo

ellen stone said...

This is beautiful. Love the different sides. Blue and yellow really speaks to my heart. I will follow you on Bloglovin. I am
15septemberarts.blogspot.com

My friday finish: http://15septemberarts.blogspot.com/2014/05/star-pillow-finish.html

Di said...

Beautiful bag. You will wonder how you managed without it as it is big when opened up. Di x

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

It's a beauty!

Seaside Quilter said...

Any chance you'll be selling these bags? I'd love to buy one.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

It's wonderful!

felicity said...

What a sweet and useful bag! I may just have to make one for me!!

Tomomi McElwee said...

Love hexies adding great decoration outside. It's a beauty.

Lisa said...

This is beautiful! I want to make one but haven't quite gotten the full on "I've Got to MAKE this NOW" urge!